For most, a house fire is one of the worst disasters that can happen to a home. It requires more time and has a higher cost to repair the damage caused by a fire than most other disasters. Lee Carpet Cleaning is certified in fire damage restoration and we are here to help if you and your family experience a house fire. However, we also want to help you prevent fires through regular maintenance to protect your home from a fire.
Faulty Outlets and wiring are one of the top causes of house fires.
Never use a cord that has any sign of fraying. If a cord is fraying it could short out and start a fire. Replace any damaged or frayed cords immediately.
Understand the capacity of your homes electrical system. Overloading the circuits can cause serious issues and could even start a fire. Talk to an electrician to find out if your home will handle your needs.
Do you know the difference between a power strip and a surge protector? While they both allow for plugging in multiple devices, a surge protector will protect anything that is plugged in from power surges. This is especially important for any electronic devices.
Kitchens are another leading cause of fires.
Never leave pots and pans unattended. If you need to leave the room you should either turn off the stove or have someone else keep an eye on any food that you have cooking.
Know how to use a fire extinguisher, and keep it close to the oven.
Clean the oven and stove regularly. Food or grease can easily catch fire.
Clothes dryers are possibly the most common cause of house fires.
If you install a dryer vent, follow the instructions carefully and only use recommend materials. If you aren’t sure how to do this, then it is a great idea to have a professional install the vent.
Have your dryer vent cleaned regularly. We would recommend once per year.
Clean the lint filter before every single load.
Lint can easily get around and under the dryer. So do not neglect cleaning completely around the dryer.
Alternate heat sources.
Try not to use old space heaters as these are more likely to start a fire. New units have more safety features built-in.
Never put a space heater near curtains or furniture. Materials that are more flammable should be kept away from an alternate heat source.
If you want to have a pellet stove or wood-burning stove in your house, have a professional install it. This can help prevent any issues that could be caused by incorrect installation.
If you have a chimney and you use the fireplace, you should have it checked and cleaned at least once per year. Before cold weather is a good time. There are professionals who do this, and it is a good idea to allow a company to clean and service the chimney.
Be careful with what you burn in your fireplace, burning materials that give off sparks will increase the chances of a house fire starting.
These are the most common causes of house fires. While there are many other possible causes, if you work to prevent these, then your chances of having a house fire are reduced.